El Gaucho Events Executive Chef Steve Cain shares one of his favorite holiday recipes, a Fruit Shrub Cocktail.
This is a delicious alternative beverage sure to impress your friends.
Ingredients and Tools:
- Clean tools
- Quart sized Glass container with a lid
- Deep pot
- Measuring cup
- Sauce pan
- Clean kitchen cloth
- Cheesecloth or coffee filter
- 2 cups fruit
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1.5 to 2 cups sugar depending on how sweet you like it.
- Sterilize the jar in boiling water it should be submerged at least 2 inches in the water. Place the sterilized jar on a clean kitchen towel.
- Add the fruit to the jar.
- Bring the vinegar to just below the boiling point and pour it over the fruit.
- Let the container cool in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours and up to 4 weeks until the desired flavor is achieved.
- Strain the mixture through cheesecloth or the coffee filter.
- Place the strained mixture in a sauce pan and add the sugar. Bring it to simmer to melt the sugar. Tightly sealed the syrup will last up t six months in the refrigerator
- Place 1 tablespoon in a 8 oz. glass with sparkling water or still water adjust the amount to your liking.