Chef Hood’s Geoduck Clam Fritters with Remoulade
AQUA by El Gaucho’s Executive Chef, Wes Hood, was recently featured by The Seattle Times for sharing his delicious Geoduck Glam Fritters recipe in the Catch of the Week. You can view the article here.
Preparing and Breading Geoduck
- Set up a pan of flour (2-3 cups)
- Another pan of egg wash (I used 4 eggs simply whipped together with a fork)
- Another pan of Panko Bread Crumbs (3 cups)
- A plate or other container to put the breaded clams onto.
- With one hand, (this will be your “dry hand”) dip the clam belly strips into the flour. Shake off the excess flour and drop them into the eggs.
- With the other hand, (your “wet hand”) take the clam out of the eggs and dip them into the panko.
- Using your “dry hand” pack the panko around the clam and remove to a plate or some other container.
- Repeat this process in stages until all of the belly meat has been breaded.
- 1 each Egg yolk
- 3 T Dijon
- 2 T Grain Mustard
- ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ each Lemon, Fresh Squeezed
- 2 c Canola
- ½ c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 T Shallots, minced (about 1 each)
- 1 T Garlic, mined
- 3 T Capers
- 2 T Cornichons
- 2 T Fresh Chives
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolk with mustard until thoroughly combined and mixture begins to pale in color.
- Slowly add the oils while whisking to emulsify.
- Add the Lemon juice as needed… should resemble the viscosity of a mayonnaise. (You can add a little water at this point if too thick)
- Add remaining ingredients.